Yakima County Rental Assistance
Program for Tenants

This emergency funding is to prevent eviction for households who the COVID pandemic has financially impacted. Low-income households living in Yakima County can receive funds to cover past due, current, and future rent and utility bills.

Funding is available for renters or landlords who have lost income due to COVID-19 and struggle to pay or collect rent.

Tenants can now apply online via the FORWARD portal.

Please click the button above, fill out your profile, answer questions, upload supporting documents, and submit your application!

These programs are funded with taxpayer dollars – Yakima County is dedicated to prosecuting those who commit fraud against their neighbors.

If you need help with this online application, please email us at FORWARD-support@forwardplatform.com or call us at 1-855-582-3973. 

If you need a reasonable accommodation to complete the application due to a disability, please reach out to 1-509-574-1365 or contact a local partner from the list below for assistance. 

Landlord Opt-In

Assistance grants are available to Landlords as part of the Rental Assistance Program. If you are a landlord, please click HERE for more information. 

Please note, tenants must also apply using the tenant portal or through a partner agency.

Need Help? Reach Out to Our Community Partners

Yakima County and FORWARD are partnering with the following community organizations to help you complete application forms and provide you the right documentation. Connect with any of our partners below to receive assistance with Yakima County Emergency Rental Assistance Program.



 1419 Hathaway St, Yakima WA, 98902

• Monday-Friday from 8:10 AM to 4:00 PM 

• 1-509-249-6232

• Mary.diaz@ynhs.org

  [Yakima] 102 S Naches Ave, Yakima WA 98901

 [Sunnyside] 617 Scoon Rd, Sunnyside WA, 98944

• Monday-Friday 9 AM - 4 PM


• 1-509-865-7630


• 706 Renschler Ln, Toppenish WA, 98948

• Monday-Friday 8 AM-5PM

Eligibility Requirements

Households must meet all four of the initial screening criteria to be eligible for rental assistance: 

• Someone in the household has qualified for unemployment or experienced a reduction in income, incurred significant costs, or experienced financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

• You have current housing instability or risk of housing instability, which may include rental arrears or anticipation of inability to pay future rent.

• Your household income is at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) – Refer to the table below for Income Limit.

• Your household resides within Yakima County – Click Here for a map of Yakima County neighborhoods.

* We prioritize assistance to households with income that does not exceed 50 percent of the area median income for the household, or where one or more individuals within the household are unemployed as of the date of the application for assistance and have not been employed for the 90-day period preceding such date.

Required Documents

The following documents will be used to verify your eligibility: 

• Proof of income, which can include paystubs, W-2s or other wage statements, 2020 tax filings, or bank statements demonstrating regular income.

• Proof of a current lease, or documentation of residence showing evidence that establishes a pattern of paying rent.

• Proof of past due rent or utility notice, or eviction notice.

You can store documents in your profile so that you can easily find them to include in your applications. These file formats are supported: .doc, .docx, .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .pdf, .png, .xls, and .xlsx

Please note that you might still qualify for assistance if you do not have these documents. Contact us so we may assist you with the application.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the eligibility requirements?

Households who rent their home/apartment must meet four criteria for Yakima County Emergency Rental assistance.

i. One or more individuals within the household are obligated to pay rent or have rental arrears (past due) on a residence located in Yakima County.

ii. Total household income is equal to or less than fifty percent (50%) of the area median income (AMI).

iii. One or more individuals within the household who have Qualified for unemployment insurance benefits; or, Experienced financial loss due, directly or indirectly, to COVID-19.

iv. One or more individuals within the household can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness; or housing instability.

What is the application process?

After submitting your application, it will move through the following five steps:

1. Application Review

2. Tenant Outreach - someone will contact you if more information is needed.

3. Eligibility Determination - your application moves to the next step if you meet the eligibility criteria. If not, you will receive a written denial which you can appeal.

4. Landlord Outreach

5. Payment Processing

How do I check on the status of my application?

If you would like to check on the status of your application, please log into your FORWARD account and click the "My Applications" tab to see your status.

How will I know if I meet the Yakima County income eligibility requirements?

You meet the income eligibility requirements if your total household income equals or less than 80% of the area median income (AMI). Your AMI depends on how many people live in your household.

Do I have to be a US citizen to apply for the Yakima County Emergency Rental Assistance Program? Or age limit?

No. United States citizenship is NOT an eligibility requirement of this program.

You must be 18 Years or older to apply. Or you are legally emancipated if under 18 years of age.

How many months does Emergency Rental Assistance cover?

Households with missed or partially paid rent can receive a total of 15 months of rent and/or utility assistance from March 13, 2020.

Will the Emergency Rental Assistance be considered taxable income for households?

No. According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Emergency Rental Assistance is to help eligible households that require financial assistance to pay for rent, utilities, and other related expenses. Rental and utility payments ONLY count as gross income for your landlord or utility provider.

Once my Emergency Rental Assistance application is approved, how will I receive the payment?

T-RAP payments will be made directly to landlords utility providers. The information provided in your application will be used to contact your landlord or utility provider(s). You will receive documentation of all payments made to your landlord or utility provider(s) on your behalf.

What utilities are covered?

They can include electricity, gas, water/sewer, trash removal, energy costs, such as fuel, oil, or wood for heating. The Internet is considered an utility for this program.

Phone and TV bills are NOT included in the program.

What about costs other than rent and utilities?

Costs related to obtaining or keeping safe housing will be considered on a case-by-case basis when an application is reviewed.

I receive a monthly federal subsidy (e.g., Housing Choice Voucher, Public Housing, Project-Based Section 8, USDA Rural Development). Am I still eligible to apply?

Yes. Households that receive a monthly federal subsidy are eligible to apply for assistance. However, assistance will only be provided for the amount not covered by other programs.

Is there a maximum amount of assistance per applicant covered by this program?

No, but rental assistance is limited to 15 months in total.

What is FMR?

FMR is the Fair Market Rent of a rental unit in a designated area decided by the Department of Housing Urban Development. As defined in 24 CFR 888.113, Fair Market Rents are estimates of 40th percentile gross rents for standard quality units within a metropolitan area or nonmetropolitan county. The table below depicts the FMR for Yakima County, Washington.

Tenant Online Application Tutorial Videos

How to Create an Account

How to Apply

How to Upload Documents

How to Submit Rent/Utilities